Osteoporosis is a lifestyle disease and prevention is the best cure. No state funding is provided for the vital preventative work required. The foundation therefore depends on the generosity of support from the private and corporate sectors to offer education and support.
Our vision and mission for the organisation are outlined below:
This is done in order to reduce the widespread prevalence of osteoporosis and associated fractures, while working to find a cure for the disease, and by supporting research and developing programmes of education and advocacy.
- To improve the quality of life for those suffering with osteoporosis, by making the diagnostic tools available.
- To allow everyone suffering from osteoporosis access to medications that will prevent their first fractures.
- To support the research about the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, thereby preventing or lessening the serious socio-economic impact of this disease in our country.
To accomplish our mission we do the following:
- Fundraising – Seek funds to support our programmes and services
- Research – Determine the fracture prevalence and cost implications thereof on our economy
- Education and support – Provide education and support services for people with osteoporosis
- Professionals’ education programmes – Conduct osteoporosis education programmes for health professionals to better understand osteoporosis, its prevention and treatment by organising conferences and training courses to this effect
- Awareness – Educate the public about osteoporosis and about the importance of prevention, early diagnosis and available treatment
- Advocacy – Advocate the interests of people affected by osteoporosis at levels of medical, societal and political influence
- Advice – Counsel osteoporosis sufferers through written, electronic and telephonic communications